Monday, October 29, 2018

Jair Bolsonaro

At the time of writing this post, the election results for Brazil's president are not clear, but all seems top point to Jair Bolsonaro being the [overwhelming] victor. 
It is a mystery to me how the whole world seems focused on the antics of the US president, while at the same time a monster of much bigger proportions is being created further south. 
Bolsonaro is an ex-army captain (paratrooper) and a populist provocateur notorious for praising Brazil’s 1964-85 military regime and foreign autocrats including Peru’s Alberto Fujimori and Augusto Pinochet of Chile.
Among many worrying statements, Bolsonaro argued that men and women should not receive the same salaries; said that "I would be incapable of loving a gay son," and added that he would prefer any gay son of his "to die in an accident..."; stated that "there is no risk" of his family producing a homosexual child because his children had a "good education"; “I will not fight against it nor discriminate, but if I see two men kissing on the street, I'll beat them up.” And so on and so on
In a 2017 speech, Bolsonaro stated: "God above everything. There is no such thing as this secular state. The state is Christian and the minority will have to change, if they can."
To federal deputy Maria do Rosário at the Chamber of Deputies “I would never rape you, because you don't deserve it.” And so on, and so on...
I can only hope the news on my radio alarm clock will prove me and most commentators wrong when I wake up this morning... 

No comments:

Post a Comment