Thursday, January 5, 2023

David J.J. Ring, Jr.

American boinero David Ring worked was a maritime radio officer on the supertanker Williamsburgh.

It was David on the Williamsburgh who picked up the distress signal of the MS Prinsendam.

The Holland America Line ship MS PRINSENDAM's passengers and crew abandoned the burning ship in the middle of the night in the Gulf of Alaska on October 4-5, 1980.

In 1988, David was awarded the Marconi Gold medal by the Veteran Wireless Operators Association.

Asked about David's affinity with the beret: "I bought a used beret a 15 years ago, it kept my head warm. One day when I was out walking it started a sudden but very heavy rain. I ducked under the overhang of a closed barber shop so I wouldn't get totally soaked. As it should happen right where I sought shelter was right where there used to be a downspout from the roof gutters, so instead of all the water from the gutter going down the downspout, it came down right on my head. I moved away, the sudden deluge stopped and I went home. When I got home, I ran my fingers through my hair and I was shocked: my hair was completely dry. It was then that I paid attention to the words on the lining of my Hoquey beret: IMPERMEABLE. 

I've worn a beret ever since".


No comments:

Post a Comment