Thursday, July 13, 2023

Anatoliy Dimarov

Anatoliy Dimarov (born Anatoly Andronikovych Harasyuta, 1922—2014) was a Ukrainian writer.

His father was married to a priest's daughter and was later declared a Kulak. Dimarov later said "My path to the world was completely closed to me. And my unfortunate mother for the sake of us, two children, gave up her personal life. She went to Myrhorod, found her friends, and begged them to testify in the Myrhorod court that she had lost her children's metrics and that we were the children of teacher Dimarov, who died. Since then, I became Dimarov, not Garasyuta”.

 "I couldn't go anywhere, not even to the Komsomol, I was afraid that they would start studying my biography and find out that I was the son of a kulak." As a child, Anatoliy survived the Holodomor in Ukraine in 1932-1933. At the beginning of World War II, he fought on the Southwestern Frontand in 1941, was seriously injured. After recovery he found himself in the occupied territories. He became the commander of a partisan detachment, had several injuries and contusions, and became disabled at a young age. He was awarded orders and medals. In 1944 he came to Lutsk, where he lived for six years. And it was there, as the writer admitted, that the national consciousness awoke in him. "It never occurred to me that I was Ukrainian!"

The novelist's books have been translated into Russian, English, French and many other foreign languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment