Saturday, June 30, 2018

Sammy Reshevsky


Samuel "Sammy" Herman Reshevsky (born Szmul Rzeszewski; 1911 – 1992) was a Polish chess prodigy and later a leading American chess grandmaster.
Reshevsky with Dutch Grandmaster Max Euwe
He was never a full-time chess professional. He was a strong contender for the World Chess Championship from the mid-1930s to the mid-1960s: he tied for third place in the 1948 World Chess Championship tournament and tied for second in the 1953 Candidates Tournament. He was an eight-time winner of the U.S. Chess Championship. 
Reshevsky with Czech-American Grandmaster Lubomir Kavalek
An outstanding match player throughout his career, Reshevsky excelled at positional play, and could be a brilliant tactician when required. He took a long time over his opening moves, and often found himself in time pressure, but this sometimes unsettled his opponent more than it did Reshevsky.
Reshevsky with Dutch Grandmaster Jan Timman
He was an accountant by profession, and a well-regarded chess writer.

2 comments:

  1. If anyone wants a drawing I did of him, I'll mail it to. I'm sure that I drew it while in college, studying art. I think the assignment was to draw a portrait of a famous person by using a photo, in this case - from a magazine. I don't have the original magazine photo, nor do I know which magazine I got it from. I'd be happy to let you see it via facebook. It's not much but someone may want it. Who knows? I'll mail it to you for free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drew a portrait of Reshevsky in college 40ish years ago if anyone wants it. From a photo, but I don't know which publication. I can mail it to you for free and also send it to you via facebook.

    ReplyDelete