Friday, October 26, 2012

Shetland Skipper Beret

I am delighted with the latest addition to my beret collection: a custom made, hand felted, skipper's beret in pure -untreated- Shetland wool.
It all started by finding this picture of traditional Shetland boat skipper Ian:
How could I not be impressed? I tracked down the maker, Laryna Wupperman, who works with the Galgael charity in Glasgow, Scotland and has her own blog on 'creative fiber craft'. 
Laryna was happy to make a second skipper beret for me, a huge undertaking (I have to admit, I didn't realize just how much time is involved making one of these giants).
I received mine a few days ago and it is fantastic! It came with a power-point presentation detailing the whole process (and as soon as I figure out how to post it on this blog, I will do so).
Needless to say, at 390mm diameter this beret dwarfs txapelduns and plato grandes; one could outfit an army of Basco Roma's with the material that went into this beret (including the tiny fragments of grass, still present in the wool)!
If anyone is interested in a majestic beret like this one, please drop me a line and I'll forward all messages to Laryna. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Daan, thanks for the links in your lovely post about the giant beret, which I felted for you last year. I just felted an even larger shetland beret with 48cm diameter. Will send you a photo with me wearing it.
    Best wishes Laryna

    ReplyDelete